The biblical meaning of dreaming about snakes is wisdom, temptation, deception, lies, healing, enemies, craftiness, salvation, and cunningness. If you’re dreaming about snakes it’s important to evaluate your inner and outer world for negative thoughts or people in your surroundings.
In dreams, snakes generally convey a symbolic message. Symbolic dreams usually have a hidden meaning that is relatable to your everyday life. God often speaks in parables and riddles to encourage believers to seek him for the interpretation. Fortunately, God has given you “the secrets of the kingdom of heaven” to help you understand his messages. (Matthew 13:11)
Request your Free Dream Interpretations here.
Common Christian Dream Interpretations of Snakes
- Dreaming of a snake in your bed or under your bed may represent someone in your intimate space that isn’t trustworthy or thoughts you’re entertaining in your mind that are lies about yourself, God, or others, potentially leading to deception and negativity in your life.
- Dreaming of a snake in your house could represent hidden issues within your home that need to be exposed and dealt with.
- Dreaming of killing, avoiding, or evading a snake in your dream can indicate that you are overcoming problems in your life or embracing the righteousness of Christ and growing as a true child of God, walking in purity and honor.
- Dreaming of a very long or massive snake, such as an anaconda, may symbolize a situation in your life that feels overwhelming and huge. Also, dreams with long snakes may also represent a situation with multiple people that are trying to bring some type of negativity in your life.
- Dreaming that snakes are attacking you could represent lies that the enemy wants you to believe about yourself or a fear of the hurtful words and lies of others.
- Dreaming of shedding snake skin may represent transformation and renewal, symbolizing a period of change and growth in your life.
- Read more on the biblical meaning of dreaming about snakes by color.
These dreams may carry symbolic meanings related to wisdom, temptation, deception, healing, enemies, craftiness, salvation, and cunningness. It’s important to evaluate your inner and outer world for negative thoughts or people in your surroundings when interpreting dreams about snakes, such as anacondas.
What is the biblical meaning of dreaming about snakes?
1. Snakes represent Wisdom
Dreams about snakes should prompt you to evaluate your life for deceptive, manipulative, and cunning works of the enemy. The enemy can use your own mind, people around you, challenges, work, health and other things to deceive you into believing lies about God, others, and yourself. Therefore, Christians are to be as “wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.” For you are a “sheep in the midst of wolves.” (Matthew 10:16)
2. Snakes represent Distractions & Obstacles
Dreams about snakes are often seen as representations of distractions or obstacles that can hinder Christians from drawing closer to God. These obstacles may manifest in various aspects of life, such as work, relationships, family, finances, emotions, and even food-related distractions.
For exampled, Satan accomplished his will through wisely crafted lies. He is know as the father of lies, an “ancient serpent,” a “devil,” and a “deceiver.” The serpent convinced his first victims, Adam and Eve, to sin by stating God was withholding goodness from them. (Revelation 12:9; Revelation 20:2) “No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly” (Psalm 84:11)
The Pharisees Were Vipers
Additionally, in Matthew 12:34 and Matthew 23:33, Jesus called the Pharisees a “brood of vipers” and children of the devil. This passage compares the Pharisees to snakes because they stopped people from receiving the benefits of the Gospel.
This passage compares the Pharisees to snakes because they stopped people from receiving the benefits of the Gospel.
They denied scriptures that clearly showed that Jesus fulfilled every prophecy of the coming Messiah from the Old Testament. (John 8:44) Jesus said to them: “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the kingdom of heaven in men’s faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let in those who wish to enter.” (Matthew 23:13)
Ultimately, the Pharisees were influenced by evil and hated revelation truth. (Matthew 3:7) The Pharisee’s pride, greed, and love for power could not handle the revelation Jesus was bringing. During that time, they had used the law and religion to gain an upper hand on others. If they were to accept that Jesus was the Messiah then they’d have to truly repent for their wickedness.
The Biblical Meaning of Dreaming About Rattlesnakes
- The biblical meaning of rattlesnakes is an enemy that has unhealthy tendencies that are obvious. It’s a warning to take caution. Their goal is to distract you from focusing on the anything related to God, righteousness, and love.
Similar to the Pharisees, rattlesnakes belong to the viper family. They are venomous, using their words to corrupt, and possess long fangs that inflict painful wounds. Remember, we do not fight against flesh and blood, but against principalities and powers. Always remember that Satan is the enemy, regardless of the fact they he may use others to hurt you.
Related Article: 12 Powerful Prayers To Destroy Your Enemies’ Plan
3. You Have Authority to Defeat Snakes
Fortunately, you don’t have to fear snakes in your dreams because God has had the upper hand since the Old Testament.
In Ancient Egypt, the Pharaoh wore a rearing cobra headdress for protection and to show power. Cobras represented the goddess Wadjet. God defeated Pharaoh’s false god by transforming Aaron’s ’staff into a serpent that swallowed up his sorcerer’s snake. (Exodus 7:10-12) This defeat was symbolic of God’s authority to “trample on snakes” and “overcome all the power of the enemy.”
Overcoming Snakes Represent Repentance, Salvation, and Healing
Dreaming of defeating, avoiding, escaping, and killing snakes is a positive sign. It represents a cleansing in your life and a move towards purity, truth, and righteousness.
When the Israelites complained about God and Moses in the desert, God released poisonous snakes upon them and some died. “They spoke against God and against Moses, and said, “Why have you brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? There is no bread! There is no water! And we detest this miserable food.” (Numbers 21)
After the poisonous snakes, the Israelites repented, so Moses prayed against their punishment. Then, God told Moses to put a bronze snake on a pole. If an Israelites was bitten they were to look at the pole and live. This foreshadowed the forgiveness of sin believers would receive when they look to Jesus Christ: “Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him.” (John 3:14-15)
The Biblical Meaning of Dreaming About Cobras
- The biblical meaning of cobra in dreams may be related to leadership style. Perhaps, you or someone else has a tendency to be controlling and revel in self glory.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the biblical meaning of dreaming about snakes by color?
- The biblical meaning of green snakes in dreams is a jealous or envious enemy. However, green also means healing, safety, and new beginnings. Therefore, the dream may indicate an attack on your ability to transition into an abundant and peaceful season.
- The biblical meaning of brown snakes in dreams may signal that the enemy wants to steal salvation or the power of Christ in your life. Perhaps, it’s time to reinforce your faith and remember that the enemy can’t steal the free gift of forgiveness.
- The biblical meaning of black snakes in dreams represents suffering, death, and mourning. Perhaps, something internally or externally is causing you sadness? Is the enemy using an old situation or relationship to attack you? This dream is an invitation to heal or remove the old point of conflict in your life.
2. What is the biblical meaning of killing a snake in a dream?
The biblical meaning of killing a snake in a dream is victory and authority. Also, in Christianity, eating a snake in a dream may mean you are an overcomer. Similarly to Jesus, you too have authority to defeat snakes — the works of the enemy. Therefore, defeating, killing, or evading a snake in dreams may indicate that you’re overcoming obstacles.
Your inheritance as a believer is the authority to crush every dark power that comes against your life: “I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you.” In every spiritual battle, remember that you have been given everything necessary to have the victory! (Luke 10:19; 1 Corinthians 10:13)
3. What is the biblical meaning of being bitten by a snake in a dream?
Dreams of being bitten or harmed by a snake indicates an active spiritual attack on your life. This attack may manifest through various channels, such as negative emotions, distractions, sickness, people, problems, or work-related challenges. In facing such challenges, it is essential to remain grounded in faith and prayer. Additionally, engaging in powerful prayers to counteract the enemy’s plans can be a source of comfort and protection during such spiritual attacks.
Additionally, please remember that our ultimate enemy is Satan, not the problems or people.
He is creative in how he likes to attack believers. Consequently, Satan may use others to harm you, but don’t forget that, “we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.” (Ephesians 6:12) Here are 12 Powerful Prayers To Destroy Your Enemies’ Plan that will help you navigate deceptive individuals with love.