The biblical meaning of a goat in a dream signal abundance, hard-work, pride, arrogance, destruction, selfishness, and sin. Also, It is important to explore your own dislike or love of goats for a more personal dream meaning.
Essentially, goats often convey a symbolic message. Symbolic dreams usually have a hidden meaning that relates to your life. God often speaks in parables and riddles to encourage believers to seek him for the interpretation. Fortunately, God has given you “the secrets of the kingdom of heaven” to help you understand his messages. (Matthew 13:11)
What is the biblical meaning of a goat in a dream?
The biblical meaning of a goat in a dream can be positive or negative. To understand your dream, evaluate the three potential meanings below. Then, evaluate if the dream is about your own emotions or someone in your outer world.
1. Goats Represent Humanity
Dreams about goats can represent negative character and behavioral traits. The dream may indicate a need to self-reflect and evaluate if you have been showing Christ-like behavior. In contrast, your dream may be showing the character and behaviors of your surrounding community. If so, it’s essential that you pray for their souls and continue to practice loving your enemies.
In the Old Testament, Jesus was the promised shepherd over humanity: “As for you, my flock, this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I will judge between one sheep and another, and between rams and goats.” (Ezekiel 34:17)
Similarly, the New Testament promises that when Jesus returns, he will separate the sheep from the goat. Goats are not as submissive as a sheep. They don’t follow a shepherd well and tend to be self-reliant, stubborn, and destructive to their environment. Sometimes, goats represent wicked individuals that don’t care for the homeless and starving. Consequently, goats are a symbol for those who practice satanism.
"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left." (Matthew 25:31-33)
2. Goats Represent Cleansing
Seeing a goat within your dream may indicate that you are in a transformative period of life. Are you starting to truly understand the finished work of Jesus Christ? Is there major changes happening in your life? Ultimately, this is a great period of life because your sin, shame, and past is being redeemed and purified.
- Dreaming of a white goat means there is purity blossoming in your life.
- A black goat in dreams mean that this may be a period of mourning due to your past behavior. This type of dream shows that your soul is ready to embrace the Gospel and be transformed.
- The meaning of a brown goat in a dream is the presence of repentance and humility in a believers life. This is a good sign that the dreamer or person in the dream is ready to surrender to God’s authority.
The term ‘scapegoat’ originates from Old Testament practices OR Jewish history. It describes “the ritual animals that the Jewish community placed their sins onto in preparation for Yom Kippur.” Priests would symbolically place sins on the goat and then drive it out in the desert. This symbolized throwing out Israel’s sin. (Leviticus 16)
Essentially, sacrificed goats purified humanity before Jesus Christ died for sins. Now, we no longer need animal sacrifice because Jesus was the final offering.
"For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit." (Romans 8:3-4)
3. Goats Represent Abundance
Seeing a healthy flock of goats may represent the need to take care of your possessions and give attention to things in your life. This is also a prompting to be grateful and tend to your blessings from God. Lastly, your dream may also be indicating that you’re doing a good job stewarding everything around you which is the recipe for abundance, success, and stability.
- Dreaming of buying a goat means that you are properly managing of your spiritual life. Essentially, this is a good sign that you are properly stewarding finances, family, career, and spiritual health.
- To see a male goat in dreams indicates that you are taking spiritual authority over the areas you’re in charge of such as finances and career. However, in a negative dream, male goats represent arrogance and unhealthy mindsets in your leadership roles.
- When you dream of a baby goat it means you are fruitful in you ambitions, finances, and career. Essentially, you are successfully receiving the benefits of your labour. However, in a negative dream the baby goat could represent the fruit of ungodly behavior.
We know that goats can represent abundance from reading the Bible. In Proverbs, King Solomon encourages believers to take care of what they have. This practice would benefit them in difficult seasons of lack.
"Be sure you know the condition of your flocks, give careful attention to your herds; for riches do not endure forever, and a crown is not secure for all generations. When the hay is removed and new growth appears and the grass from the hills is gathered in, the lambs will provide you with clothing, and the goats with the price of a field. You will have plenty of goats’ milk to feed your family and to nourish your female servants." (Proverbs 27:23-27)